Sunday, December 11, 2011

Life

Sometimes late at night, when things are going poorly in my life and I'm all alone crying out to God, I wonder, "What do people who don't know God do at a time like this? Who do they cry to? What do they ask for?"

Even in the hardest of circumstances, I believe wholly and fully in the Giver of Life. Even the most beautiful and perfect moments in my life, apart from Him, mean nothing. What is love if it doesn't last for eternity? What is hope if it is not given by the One who keeps me in His hand?

Jesus tells us that we are His lambs, and that He picks us up and carries us against His chest, close to His heart. When it is dark and I am lonely, if I listen carefully I can hear the thump-thump of His kindness and gentleness.

There is so much comfort knowing the Creator of life promises to sustain us long past this time on earth. Death is so hard because frankly it is unnatural. It doesn't compute with how we're made. You would think that after all these thousands of years of death, we'd all resign ourselves to the fact that it happens and will happen to us. But don't we fight it? Aren't we shocked when a loved one is ripped from us? It never feels right. It's because we were meant for life, not death.

Through what Jesus did on the cross, we can have life and have it abundantly. And forever. Death has lost its sting!

No comments:

Post a Comment